Saturday, August 6, 2011

A New Beginning

Back up... I forgot to start at the beginning... :)
Everyone needs new beginnings.  At 20 I was definitely in need of one.  I packed up my things and without telling hardly anyone and was our of Maryland within a week of my decision.  I had so many people who helped me through everything.  A change that big is actually really scary for me.  I had a family friend, Jared Davis, give me a blessing.  I needed comfort from my Heavenly Father and the knowledge that I had the strength to do this.  He and his wife both talked to me and made me feel loved and that they cared about me.  My family gave me the support I needed and loved me the whole way.  Even though they couldn't be here in person they were definitely there in spirit.  One of my very best friends, Laura, made the treck with me across the country!  What a sweet girl.  I hope I can be like her one day.  She dropped EVERYTHING and went with me as soon as I needed her.  Laura's whole family helped me by being there for me when I needed them.  Her father and husband gave me a beautiful blessing promising me that I would be storong and courageous in this trip.  It convinced me even more that I could do this.
I left July 8, 2010.  I threw everything I could in my little 2005 Mustang GT.  That thing was packed full.  The first day was hard and full of tears.  I had left my friends without letting more than a few know. 
That trip was one of the best and most healing of my life.  Within 3 days, I knew where my life was going and what I needed out of it.  Laura and I had many fun nights in hotels, trips to Omaha, Nebraska where the historical Winter Quarters is located. 
We ate out where we wanted when we wanted, and if we didn't want regular food we went to a local Walmart and bought snap peas, ranch, cheese and bread.  We got stuck in the most "podunk" towns in America and the only one I can remember the name of is Toledo, like the saying "Holy Toledo".  Worst. Town. Ever.  Don't go there.  Nothing exciting.  Another town we had a horrible feeling about and got lost for probably an hour or so because the GPS wasn't working right.  It was really scary but all we could do was pray and call her awesome husband, Derek, to help us find a hotel.
Finally we arrived in Utah!  I believe it was July 10, 2010.  We saw family, unpacked and relaxed all day.  What would I do with my first week there?  Well it was full of church (on Sunday the 11th), shopping, food and fun.  Everything we could think of doing together we did.  I'm so thankful I have her in my life.  I will always owe her big time and hope someday I can return the favor. 
On July 16, Laura had to leave.  It was hard for me because that meant everything started.  I was alone in this huge city with no friends.  I stayed inside most of the time and hung out with my awesome Grandma and Grandpa Johnson.  When I wasn't there, I was with Grandma and Grandpa Thurgood.  I'm so thankful for the time I had with them all by myself, but it was darn well time for me to make some friends.  Instead of being shy at church I tried to talk to new people every time and go to all of the activities.  I strengthened old relationships, met new friends through old friends, but most of all I learned more about my wonderful family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment